on_the_playa sectional graphic


Vehicle Licensing and Criteria for People with Disabilities

"Disabled Person's Vehicle" licenses are issued by the DMV to participants with physical disabilities. Just like Mutant Vehicles, you must pre-register in order to get a license to operate a Vehicle for People with Disabilities.

How do you get a license?

  1. Read the Black Rock City Vehicle Protocols and Driving Rules at Burning Man.
  2. Meet the DMV's Disabled Person's Vehicle License Criteria (below).
  3. Pre-register your vehicle through our online application form. All vehicles must be pre-registered through this form to be considered for on playa licensing.
  4. Bring your vehicle to the DMV at Black Rock City for final vehicle inspection.

The criteria for licensing a Disabled Person's Vehicle include:

  • Providing a city or state issued disabled placard with the accompanying identification card. The name on the card must match the applicant.
  • A standard of safety for your vehicle and its occupants
  • Physical inspection and a photograph of the vehicle on the playa
  • Past behavior
  • Current behavior (violating driving rules at Burning Man is cause for revocation of your license, impound of the vehicle, and possible ejection from the event)

The following vehicles will NOT be licensed:

  • Vehicles larger than standard-sized pickup trucks/SUVs (converted "mobility vans" are acceptable)
  • Vehicles having multiple levels
  • Vehicles with trailers
  • RVs/ Motorhomes
  • Motorcycles

The use of flame effects on vehicles operated by disabled participants at Burning Man require special arrangements. If your disability will not affect your ability to control your flame effect or if you have made special arrangements that would allow you to operate your effect safely, please contact flame-effect (at) burningman (dot) com to discuss this matter with us. Questions can be sent to the DMV.

Final Licensing

Final licensing takes place at Burning Man where the DMV's team of Hotties will check your vehicle and your State issued paperwork. When you are ready to start driving your vehicle on the playa, make the DMV your very first stop and bring your acceptance letter with you. Once at the DMV, the DMV staff will make sure you meet the criteria for a license.

Register Your Vehicle

After you have read and understand all of the above sections, go to the Disabled Vehicle Questionnaire site to fill out an application.