HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR GRANT PROPOSAL
The process for submitting a grant proposal has changed. In an effort to make the process easier and streamline the information, Burning Man has created an Art Grant Application Form (an editable PDF, available at the bottom of this page) that must be filled out.
Steps To Submit a Proposal:
- Print out a copy of the PDF. Read through it to ensure you have all the required information at hand.
- Gather ALL the information requested for the proposal.
- Fill out the PDF, and upload associated files (see detailed file upload instructions below).
- Be sure to rename your PDF file to the name of your project, i.e. MyProjectName.pdf. This step helps us to quickly distinguish your project during the review process.
- Submit your completed, final proposal by February 1st at 11:59 AM PST.
- Take a deep breath, and congratulate yourself for finishing your proposal!
Important Stuff To Note:
- It's mandatory that you submit your proposal in the provided PDF format (even if you submit a physical copy).
- We (the grant committee) will not review or consider incomplete proposals.
- We will not review late proposals, or parts of proposals updated after the deadline.
- A minimum of one concept image is required.
For technical help with submitting your proposal, see the Technical FAQ.
- Make sure your proposal is finalized before you send it to us (we will not review subsequently updated, amended, or revised versions).
- Send your finalized proposal to artgrants (at) burningman (dot) com. You will receive an email confirming we have successfully received your proposal.
- Use only the complete name of your project in the subject line and type in caps. For example: MY EXTRA ACTION FONDUE PROJECT
- Do not cc individual art grant committee members. All members are subscribed to the artgrants email address.
- DO NOT SEND YOUR PROPOSAL MORE THAN ONCE.
The grant proposal deadline is February 1st at 11:59 AM PST. Any grant proposals received after this time will not be accepted.
Email File Attachment Instructions for Drawings, Diagrams, & Plans
- While we will look at images online, we print out your files for review purposes. If you send us files we can't print, it may be difficult or even impossible to review your proposal accurately. Please review our print considerations in our Technical FAQ.
- Make sure to include your project name and contact info on all your files. This includes digital images, diagrams, plans, and similar files. For example, the filename of your digital images should include your project name, or along the bottom of a photo in small print it might say "Extra Action Project, firstname.lastname@example.org".
- File formats: We accept JPG (JPEG), GIF, and TIF for images; and MS Word, MS Excel, and PDFs for schedules and other documents.
- If you have less than 5 files total posted online, you may use the form below to paste the links to those files. Please carefully manage your file sizes - large files are difficult to download and review.
- Alternatively, if the total file size of your attachments are 4 MB or less, you may simply compress your files into a "zip file" and attach it to your email (along with your proposal form). Help with creating zip files is available in our Technical FAQ.
- If you have more than 5 files, then please include a link to a single web page that includes all of your files, preferably listed by their full, complete and descriptive names. This will make it easier for the grant committee to review them. As noted above, each file should have your project and contact name associated with it.
Physical Mailing Instructions for Non-Digital Drawings and Maquettes
- Every individual item that you send must be clearly labeled with your project's name and contact information, such as an email or phone number.
- Drawings and maquettes can be mailed to: Burning Man Art Grants, PO Box 884688, San Francisco, CA 94188.
- All drawings and maquettes must be received at the Burning Man office before February 1st. All late materials will not be considered as part of the proposal for review purposes.
- All maquettes will be returned to you after the grant review process.
Instructions for Dropping Off Maquettes, Models and Photographs
- No drop-offs are accepted after the February 1st deadline.
- No drop-offs are permitted without first scheduling an appointment.
- Call the Burning Man Office at (415) 865-3800, and select "0" to speak with an operator ... they'll help you schedule a drop-off appointment.
The deadline for submitting an art grant proposal has passed. We look forward to hearing from you next year!